Need critics for a painting

Stuck? Need help? Need crits or paintovers on WIPs or finished work? Post it here.
Vardekrom
Grunt

Need critics for a painting

Unread postby Vardekrom » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:44 pm

Hello, this is a painting I did as a game menu background, but because I am quite new to painting, I'm clearly aware it's far from completion, and this is the reason I post it here.
Thanks in advance for your feedback :)

HD version : http://edeyn.fr/upload/Background_connection_menu.png
Lunaticker
Grunt

Re: Need critics for a painting

Unread postby Lunaticker » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:51 pm

Looks pretty nice! I'm gonna go ahead and say that you're definitely way above my skill level, so I don't know if I can give very good advice, but I'll try.

First of all, since it's for a game menu, would you be able to show us what it looks like with all the UI elements on? Or rather, which parts are covered up and which are shown.

As for the painting itself, I would say parts of it are a little too...murky. I know that's kind of nonspecific, and it's clearly what you were going for, but I feel like it makes parts of your environment blend together and become hard to tell apart. For example, on the mountain slope where it transitions into the background, I find that it makes it hard to tell where things are in perspective (how far forward or back they are rather).

Again, I'm probably being too nonspecific here, but I feel like if you added more contrast between elements that are further or closer in perspective, then your painting might make more sense.

Also, this is probably just nitpicking, so feel free to ignore it, but I can't help but notice you make your leaves transparent. Maybe that's how you want it to be, and that's fine, but leaves tend to block most light. Although they are translucent, so if there's light shining on them, you'll see a little bit coming through them, but you probably wouldn't be able to see through them like that.I think they would look a little better if you made it opaque, or put some subsurface scattering on them, but again, feel free to ignore this, I know you said it wasn't finished, and it might be personal preference.

Once again, really good job with your painting, I'm sure it'll look great in game : )
malaska
Grunt

Unread postby malaska » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:08 pm

The composition is really nice. I the main problem with the illustration is that there is a lack of depth. Would you agree?

When you have an outdoor scene (or a very large space) you have to take into account the atmosphere when creating your colors/values. For example - when you look out at mountains in the distance they tend to look very blue or purple, or they appear to fade into the color of the sky. This is often referred to as atmospheric perspective. This can be conveyed in a few ways - objects appear smaller (you got that), they have less detail, less contrast and more neutral colors.

In your image, the mountains and clouds in the distance have more contrasting and saturated colors than the statues in the foreground - which partially ruins the sense of depth and atmosphere. It can be a tricky thing to handle - but in general you can choose the color you want your sky to be (not too saturated with color usually), and let that color influence everything in the distance. I took the liberty of taking your image and making some modifications to show a quick example of what I think you can do to improve this in your image.
critique.jpg
critique.jpg (840.97 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
You can see in the top image (your original) when you convert the colors to gray scale you see that your clouds in the background have both the brightest and darkest colors in the image. This makes them look to clear and vivid to be in the far distance. In my example on in the gray scale area I showed how you could try to distribute the light and dark values of your image to improve the illusion of depth. In the colored portion I quickly painted over to show how this *might* look in the final illustration. You can always have the distance be darker or brighter than the foreground - that is your call - but in order to keep the illusion of depth you need to make sure the distant objects are never both Lighter AND darker at the same time. Hope this helps! :)
Mike Malaska
monojoli
Grunt

Unread postby monojoli » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:49 am

its awesome. i will also share some thing soon. i am working on it.
Basketball Legends online