Need crits please?

Stuck? Need help? Need crits or paintovers on WIPs or finished work? Post it here.
Pointless.alibi
Grunt

Need crits please?

Unread postby Pointless.alibi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:25 am

Hey guys, I'm hopeless at faces and using grey scale. Specially traditionally. I was super hoping that I could have some feedback on my third imaginative face that I have done.

www.imgur.com/gallery/qz7x4

*Image is not loading whilst previewing so will sort it when I'm not mobile lol
Lucieth
Grunt

Re: Need crits please?

Unread postby Lucieth » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:13 am

It doesn't look bad. The shading is very limited,though. I think you could get a lot out of having a more structured face in this case. Loomis has books on it that can be found for free now (I wouldn't suggest piracy, I have both a PSD of the face construction book and a soft cover).
When practicing faces it can be a good idea to go a little extreme on the lighting as well to get a better understanding of the form of the face, but face construction is more important.
This is from loomis book on it and it's a basic break down of how he handles some of the facial or aesthetic canon. Image

The most important foundation of drawing faces out of imagination is knowing general proportions. You can always break the rules once you know them, but facial proportions and the face canon together with a more in depth understanding of "face planes" gets you quite far (there are some really nice face plane 3d models you can take a look at and try doing a study of). Having a strong or dramatic lighting effect might help you sculpt out the face better, but you gotta know the fundamentals of the face before you can really dig in there.

I'm not an expert, I know my faces from imagination could be a lot stronger if I spend more time studying face planes and proportions. Which I think I'll do now actually OMGScoots
Hope it's useful.
Jah
Knight

Unread postby Jah » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:05 am

1) sketch the face lightly so the lines get lost later
2) learn some face anatomy basics like that eyes are roughly in the middle
3) use reference to see where values get darker, while working in graphite start with light values and darken it in each pass where it does not match reference
q9p7LNAcc.jpg
q9p7LNAcc.jpg (114.8 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Pointless.alibi
Grunt

Unread postby Pointless.alibi » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Jah wrote:1) sketch the face lightly so the lines get lost later
2) learn some face anatomy basics like that eyes are roughly in the middle
3) use reference to see where values get darker, while working in graphite start with light values and darken it in each pass where it does not match reference
q9p7LNAcc.jpg
That will help me so so so much, thank you!!

Live the Adventure of Artistry,
Pointless.