Critiques are Welcomed! :3

Stuck? Need help? Need crits or paintovers on WIPs or finished work? Post it here.
ClarielZhou
Grunt

Critiques are Welcomed! :3

Unread postby ClarielZhou » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:29 am

Ello! :3

I wanted to challenge myself with a 3/4 tilted up view. This was done without a reference. I would like a critique on anything (color, lighting, head tilt, proportions, etc.) I would like to improve.
Blue Hair Gir.png
Blue Hair Gir.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 2503 times
Mike086
Grunt

Re: Critiques are Welcomed! :3

Unread postby Mike086 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:44 pm

I suggest using reference if 3/4 view is a challenge. You have completed the image , now reference a similar shot to see how off you are from what you were wanting.
-Mike086
TWITCH.TV/MIKE086
I stream weekday mornings!
Monday-Friday 6am-8am Pacific Time

www.MCIII.net
iJeffrey
Foot Soldier

Unread postby iJeffrey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 am

To start off you did a very good job. Learning is a process and takes time to perfect!

The image appear to be somewhat flat. What did you use for the initial construction?
Sizzlork
Grunt

Unread postby Sizzlork » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:37 pm

I do like some of the color choices you made with the shadows of the skin. Might want to think about how you could use that same thinking with the hair to add some depth.

The big thing I see is that your perspective for the facial features are not consistent. If you draw lines through the top and bottom of each eye, the bottom of the nose and the center of the mouth, they should all converge on a common vanishing point. Whether you're using reference (highly recommended) or inventing the pose, drawing those construction lines and making sure they line up before rendering will go a long way.

Even just taking the lasso tool to those features and nudging them into perspective should help touch this piece up real quick.

Hope that helps. Keep up the practice!
virtuous
Grunt

Unread postby virtuous » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:08 pm

nice start and you got a good drawing base,
I suggest you to make the rendering with a solid brush and put in the colors
for forms.
In the process of coloring, make sure to give the piece form with tones
of light, midtone and shadow, it will make difference.

I suggest a brush like your for hair, a little tip is to make a solid color, then use the hair brush in a small size until it fits
a thin strand of hair, then go brushing and erasing the hair for it to look like a real hair, in final, add highlights.
some people does hair straight from rendering, you can go both ways.
try to keep teh hair flow constant, dont overlap lines too much.

I dont know the standard of Critiques in this forums, I wish to help you with this critique.