Suggestions for The Art Posse!

sampetersonart
Art Posse Honcho

Suggestions for The Art Posse!

Unread postby sampetersonart » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:21 pm

Hey guys!

We've gotten a lot of great ideas from the TAP community over the months and we think it can be a great way to grow The Art Posse and implement ideas from the community. We've had ideas like the Secret Santa, the Malibu Plein Air meetups, and the Study Buddy thread among others come from the community.

If you have any ideas or things you'd like to see on The Art Posse that you think could make it better feel free to post it here!
ChristopherCant
Grunt

Re: Suggestions for The Art Posse!

Unread postby ChristopherCant » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:27 am

Hey Sam :D

Want to start by saying I feel more connected to this community than I have with other communities (you're the only one for me baby...) and I think its because this forum is built on the back on twitch, with the discord as well; because of that its really easy to get as much or as little interaction as you want, there are loads of ways to interact with each other, etc. Really cool. I want to see this place continue to grow, I'm having a blast.

My suggestion would be a section for 'getting awesome at non-art things'. So many artists who put time into developing their work, usually realise they can follow a similar pattern with other areas of their life. For myself, art was the first step towards a life of self-development.

I know this is first and foremost a forum for visual artists, so it might be tough to lay out the rules for such a section, but it would be awesome to see how the community is building itself in other ways outside of visual arts, like fitness, languages, writing, music, pickup ( tapGASM ) etc.

Essentially I would like week-by-week progress pics of JordanOutlawArt's biceps Kappa

Thanks for hearing me out!
Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me! Believe in the me who believes in you! Your drill is the drill that will pierce the Heavens!

SKETCHBEWK | TWITCH | TUMBLR
Nines
Art Posse Mod

Unread postby Nines » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:06 am

Chris I ain't gettin buff for you TomsPlan
Hermidraws
Knight

Unread postby Hermidraws » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:14 am

@Christopher
While the idea you presented is good, I feel it kind of go off the main point of this forum. I know for a fact Crimson Dagger has section like that, at the same time, you ask yourself as someone who is new on the forum, is the forum for art or a bunch of things? Things like fitness/music/writing etc. can be done in ones sketchbook (journal if you will) or just discussed on discord/voice chat.

That's my opinion of course. Personally, I do not want the forum to expand to too many unnecessary sections, rather just stick with the main theme which is art/art challenge/digital art etc.
ChristopherCant
Grunt

Unread postby ChristopherCant » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:40 am

Hermidraws wrote:@Christopher
While the idea you presented is good, I feel it kind of go off the main point of this forum. I know for a fact Crimson Dagger has section like that, at the same time, you ask yourself as someone who is new on the forum, is the forum for art or a bunch of things? Things like fitness/music/writing etc. can be done in ones sketchbook (journal if you will) or just discussed on discord/voice chat.

That's my opinion of course. Personally, I do not want the forum to expand to too many unnecessary sections, rather just stick with the main theme which is art/art challenge/digital art etc.
Yeah I totally understand that point of view, completely valid. But opposite to mine ;) I wanna see Nines' abs!
Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me! Believe in the me who believes in you! Your drill is the drill that will pierce the Heavens!

Jmob
Royal Guard

Unread postby Jmob » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:22 pm

Hermidraws wrote:@Christopher

Hermi, getting abs is totally related to art. Didn't you know that? Art is life. Art is abs. I see no difference. ...
Sketchbook <3 >>> http://www.theartposse.net/viewtopic.ph ... 2979#p2979

Slow down to speed up.
Hermidraws
Knight

Unread postby Hermidraws » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:11 pm

If you guys want a fitness section then, Sam can just make another section in the posse hangout for fitness. As I said, personally I do not want the forum to become too general like the way CD is right now. Which is why they kind of reorganized their sections because there is just too many sections.

Oh well. OSsloth
ChristopherCant
Grunt

Unread postby ChristopherCant » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:22 am

Hermidraws wrote:If you guys want a fitness section then, Sam can just make another section in the posse hangout for fitness. As I said, personally I do not want the forum to become too general like the way CD is right now. Which is why they kind of reorganized their sections because there is just too many sections.

Oh well. OSsloth
Haha, I have a feeling Jmob was actually being facetious and agreeing with your point of view. I'm not even that interested in fitness journalling, just using it for easy humour. I think art is about growth, and having a place for artists to journal other areas in which they are growing could be cool, and useful to the community. Growing in other areas is immensely important to myself. Like you say, how do you manage the line between art forum and everything forum? I don't know. It's a humble suggestion for the gods above to mull over and decide if it fits with the direction they want for the forum, I'm not about to leave if they don't give me my 'abs section' :D

Perhaps you're right, and if one wanted they could put more than just art in ones sketchbook and that would suffice.

Jmob
Royal Guard

Unread postby Jmob » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:39 pm

ChristopherCant wrote:
Hermidraws wrote:If you guys want a fitness section then, Sam can just make another section in the posse hangout for fitness. As I said, personally I do not want the forum to become too general like the way CD is right now. Which is why they kind of reorganized their sections because there is just too many sections.

Oh well. OSsloth
Haha, I have a feeling Jmob was actually being facetious and agreeing with your point of view. I'm not even that interested in fitness journalling, just using it for easy humour. I think art is about growth, and having a place for artists to journal other areas in which they are growing could be cool, and useful to the community. Growing in other areas is immensely important to myself. Like you say, how do you manage the line between art forum and everything forum? I don't know. It's a humble suggestion for the gods above to mull over and decide if it fits with the direction they want for the forum, I'm not about to leave if they don't give me my 'abs section' :D

Perhaps you're right, and if one wanted they could put more than just art in ones sketchbook and that would suffice.
I was actually half serious. It was more so posed as something to lighten up the formality. blehblahboop.

Slow down to speed up.
ChristopherCant
Grunt

Unread postby ChristopherCant » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:16 am

Jmob wrote:
ChristopherCant wrote:

Oh well. OSsloth

I was actually half serious. It was more so posed as something to lighten up the formality. blehblahboop.
Gotcha! BrokeBack

Jmob
Royal Guard

Unread postby Jmob » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:38 pm

Here's my pitch for:

The Arena Challenge!

Design or illustrate (+bonus points) from the given prompt. The prompt can be environments, Assets, Creatures/Characters, or vehicles. It's basically the TAP design challenge but for those who want competition and feedback besides a pat on the back. This is all about improving and giving back constructively.

There are 3 tiers of the Arena: Bronze, Silver, and ...Gold.
- The winner gives a constructive critique of the lower rank winners. (Optional.)
- Bronze winner will be promoted to Silver after their first win.
- The winner of silver will need to win twice to be promoted to Gold (Honestly, I'm unsure how the promotion of Silver to Gold should work. Open to suggestions, of course!)

Join whatever rank you feel you are at. ALSO, join in on the weekly study challenges to improve your final weekly Arena submission.
The winners should be selected based on the idea and execution of the idea.

The key to all of this is to provide meaningful feedback to those who are striving to improve.. and the incentive is to be able to give back what one has learned in their journey to their best ability.

Options for selecting winners:
*The first winners will be selected by The Team Head Honchos: Sam Peterson and Quinn!
*Future winners will be selected by one who has achieved 3 wins in Gold. That person who has 3 wins in Gold cannot compete when selecting the winner. After they have selected that week's winner they go back to participating once more.
*Poll System: voting by popular demand. (not a fan of this as it revolves around the favorites of the forums and is not merit-based.)

**While rank systems are fun and promote competition, it should discourage people who are spamming to achieve ranks. Ranks need to be seen as hollow pursuits and meaningless and that winning a challenge has actual worth and way of measuring one's actual skill. While I dislike the idea of ranks and winning things out of a desire to be seen as someone respectable (or whatever) I think the way I've arranged the interaction between the winners of the challenges can be a a great way to grow the community in a positive, all-inclusive way THAT DOES NOT PROMOTE VANITY but promotes personal growth and freedom.

Slow down to speed up.
Raen
Grunt

Unread postby Raen » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:07 am

Not so much a suggestion about content, but a technical one.
It may be a good idea to put some work into the technical stuff behind the forum. I had to register twice because the first time, it just wouldn't send the activation email. Also, the forum tends to load very slowly sometimes, and a few times I got an error when trying to load a topic (the page displayed the HTML source code instead of the actual page).
You also may want to increase the registration security to prevent bots from registering and posting spam. There are better means than a generic captcha, they can actually easily be solved by bots. Google's "no captcha recaptcha" seems to be quite effective (don't ask me how it works, but apparently it does).
Ninjerk
Foot Soldier

Unread postby Ninjerk » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:59 am

Was there a captcha to register here? I can't remember.