TAP Study Challenge #30: Master Study

sampetersonart
Art Posse Honcho

TAP Study Challenge #30: Master Study

Unread postby sampetersonart » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Description:
The new study challenge for the next two weeks is to draw or paint a study from a master painting. Master studies can be very helpful to learn from to see how an expert approaches various aspects of drawing/painting or illustration. You can choose to copy and study their entire painting, or pick a section you want to focus on and break down. Often it helps to try and focus on a specific aspect you want to learn or better understand. That could be the composition, lighting/values, color, or anything else. For example, if you really just want to focus on the colors, it may not be necessary to do an extremely tight drawing, but rather focus on blocking in the big areas of color to study how they use various colors, values, and saturation throughout the piece. Or you can try to copy it more directly and study various aspects of the painting. I recommend finding a painting that you really like in some way, and that you think you could bring into your own work. Whether that's a lighting style you really like, a great composition, or a pleasing color palette.

Here are some resources below if you don't know where to start with finding a master painting:

Big collection of master paintings from Leesha Hannigan in a ZIP file.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/sdq8fytvt ... ection.zip

Various Master to get you started:
-John Singer Sargent, JC Leyendecker, ilya Repin, John Leon Gerome, William Adolphe Bouguereau, Sir Lawrence Alma Tadema, Albert Bierstadt, Thomas Moran, Johannes Vermeer, or any you can find in the above link or on your own.

Rules and Guidelines:
-This a master painting study challenge.
-Approach it with an idea of what you'd like to focus on and learn from the study.
-Any medium is allowed.
-WIPs and finals can be posted in this thread. Try to post all your images in the same post by "editing" it if possible.
-Due before Sam's stream on Monday, March 12th.
Zyalin
Champion

Re: TAP Study Challenge #30: Master Study

Unread postby Zyalin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:51 am

master study
Attachments
31_masterstudy.jpg
31_masterstudy.jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 1714 times
Zyalin64 on twitch (i dont stream, but you can meet me in chat)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/zyalin_art/
thelittlepaint_
Grunt

Unread postby thelittlepaint_ » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:59 pm

I would like to participate on this challenge since I've been planing to do a 2nd master study. Will try to take it as far as possible in the time remaining. I usually stream animation but might be streaming this WIP on Wednesday night. :D I love the colors on this one and the quality of brush strokes. Will be a challenge since color intimidates me a bit ...but I'm excited.

I think the artists name is Daniel F. Gerhartz
Xelgot
Grunt

Unread postby Xelgot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:53 pm

I turned this master painting study into a more personal task by portraying an original character of mine while keeping the essence of the original painting:
A Coign of Vantage (1895) - Sir Lawerence Alma Tadema

ImageImage
sampetersonart
Art Posse Honcho

Unread postby sampetersonart » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Here's what I got so far, going to continue to work on it.
Study Challenge #30 Master Study Sir Lawrence Alma Tadema.jpg
Study Challenge #30 Master Study Sir Lawrence Alma Tadema.jpg (203.38 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
thelittlepaint_
Grunt

Unread postby thelittlepaint_ » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:58 pm

Wow those are amazing. Absolutely love the evolution of the painting. <3

I've started mine. Still in the sketch phase but struggling trying to figure out how to balance the value and how colorful this painting is. Do you all have any thought on how to approach it? I'm trying to do the whole CTRL+ Y Sam does with values to keep an eye on it. Thoughts?

thelittlepaint_
Grunt

Unread postby thelittlepaint_ » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Update on this piece. Only really able to work on it here and there but coming along a lot nicer. ;) Still a ways to go...will post when finished.