How many hours of practice?

Hermidraws
Knight

How many hours of practice?

Unread postby Hermidraws » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:15 pm

There seems to be a lot of different answer to this question so I would like to see what you guys think of this. I haven't tested out how many hours I practice, but I do notice a drop of concentration after 3-4 hours of study. Now the question is, are those studies really helping? I am not too sure about that, so I will be mindful from this day onward, on the way I study.

Another interesting data I found in this article http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/how- ... -practice/ is the principles shared in it. And I feel they can be applied for any skill set.

Lastly I haven't really thought of taking a day off of drawing, but I know an artist named Jake Parker mentioned he takes a break from art and catch up with social/friends on Sunday , which makes perfect sense I believe, because your mind needs a break from the thing you do on a daily basis in order to get new ideas.

So how many hours do you practice? What is currently working for you? Would love to read insights.
chubbycat
Foot Soldier

Re: How many hours of practice?

Unread postby chubbycat » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:51 am

It's very hard to know how much to practice, especially considering basically every professional artist claims they used to study for 12+ hours a day, every day, when they were learning. I always take this claim with a pinch of salt though - we've all experienced how tiring it can be to even attempt an 8 hour day and how 12+ hour days aren't really.. realistic and manageable for everyone.

I think studying is only effective if you are able to maintain concentration and energy throughout them. You're better off taking a break for a bit than pushing through and not retaining information while burning yourself out.

As for how much I study, it really depends on work. I know that right now, I don't spend as much time on art as I should be. The number is never constant as I tend to get burnt out very quickly. I am trying to change that though. I would love to work my way up to being able to do 10 hour days when I can.

Of course, this is all just my opinion and my personal discoveries through learning art.
karanveer41
Grunt

Unread postby karanveer41 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:03 am

I think its less about how much total time you spend practicing and more about the practicing well even if you practice for 3-4 hours. I try to get done at least 2-3 hours of practice in a day. I know it should be more but I'm increasing that time in small increments.

Here's a great article I found that really opened my eyes as to how to approach practicing.

http://www.learning-to-see.co.uk/effective-practice
Eamon
Foot Soldier

Unread postby Eamon » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:15 pm

1-2 hours a day is what I do but sometimes I slip to 1 hour if I don't feel motivated or I just don't want to do anything but sleep all day which unfortunately is most days but I force it pretty often Kappa
thor6136
Champion

Unread postby thor6136 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:49 pm

i think it just depends on what you want and how fast you want to achieve that goal. Imo if you have time for 8-12h per day go for that. Start slow but build towards it, try not to skip^^

If you are practicing 2h per day thats 700h~ in a year. You might think thats a lot but someone that does 6h per day will have over 2k hours in a year, so he will be ahead of you for 2 years, and there are people who work 12, 16h per day, impossible to catch up. So do as much as you can, try to see if you can cut some stuff away (unfortunately sleep suffers first, at least for me :D) in your life maybe to get more hours in. If not, you have to know it will probably take you much longer to get good at it.

also being in shape and eating healthy helps a lot
Hermidraws
Knight

Unread postby Hermidraws » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:58 pm

thor6136 wrote:i think it just depends on what you want and how fast you want to achieve that goal. Imo if you have time for 8-12h per day go for that. Start slow but build towards it, try not to skip^^

If you are practicing 2h per day thats 700h~ in a year. You might think thats a lot but someone that does 6h per day will have over 2k hours in a year, so he will be ahead of you for 2 years, and there are people who work 12, 16h per day, impossible to catch up. So do as much as you can, try to see if you can cut some stuff away (unfortunately sleep suffers first, at least for me :D) in your life maybe to get more hours in. If not, you have to know it will probably take you much longer to get good at it.

also being in shape and eating healthy helps a lot
I think its not so much of the hours you practice, but how effectively you're using the time.
You can be drawing for 12 hours, but how many of those hours
are really deep work that improves ones ability?
thor6136
Champion

Unread postby thor6136 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:11 pm

When i say practice 12 hours i dont mean mindless grind, and yep i agree with you, mindless grind wont get you anywhere (except those times where you actually need to do stuff and you have an option to zone out a bit and just chill)

You might want to go for 3 or 4h of "deep" work and be done with it, but working more - "small" things will add up over time, you wouldn't believe how much :) sure that gain might be 50% weaker compared to first 4h, and you might not notice it in few weeks or even months, but eventually shit will start escalating. You cut food every day, -100 calories lets say from what you normally it, one would think its not much but after years it adds up and you suddenly get fit. Changes are not noticed immediately but only over a consistent period of time.

And yea you can develop bad habits, i say just be mindful of your actions and dont zone out too much. And also you can improve that with having the hardest stuff done in 2-4h and then do the rest.
GummsArt
Grunt

Unread postby GummsArt » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:27 pm

I feel like I'm spamming at this point, but I'm usually confused as to why it's impossible to answer.
For about a year and a half now I would draw for 4 - 8 hours a day. Take breaks, knew of the health issues, did stretches, all that good stuff.

Sadly, my shoulder suffered a serious injury due to too much drawing.
So, when I see/read things about people drawing 10+ hours a day, I find that humanly impossible or that the artists is making things up.

Overall, I thought hard work = getting good, but don't suffer the same fate as me. Draw at reasonable hours. As to what those hours are, I have no idea, but I found out 4 - 8 hours a day is too much for the human body.
If anyone can recommend something healthier, I'm all ears.
Since my shoulder injury permanent, unfortunately I'm lucky to even get 30 minutes in of drawing. My possible chance of an animation career has came to an end, but I would love to find ways to draw again, if possible.
Hermidraws
Knight

Unread postby Hermidraws » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:22 am

@GummsArt
As much as it sounds its impossible, it's actually possible. Of course no one draws
constantly for 12 hours straight, but there are artists who can, especially
in the animation studio.

Not even animation studio alone.

But yeah, overall it boils down:
1. How are you treating your body
2. Are you exercising
3. How comfortable are you when drawing
4. What is your time limit (again this differs per persons on
how they take care of them self)
5. Are you taking sabbaticals (Full day off of the thing you do)
6. Whenever you start to get discomfort
in one are of your body do you stop and find a better way
or just persevere through? Some peoples does that,
which does a serious blow to their own body

-

I can draw for up to 2 hours - 6 hours right now,
in the beginning it was at least 20 minutes to an hour per day.

But eventually, that will change again when I get a tablet. I have
no pain whatsoever in any of my joints because I take breaks,
pay attention to what I eat, if I get any pain somewhere, I immediately
stop and see why I got that pain (never gotten a pain from drawing
aside from holing something wrong), I exercise time to time,
I mainly do yoga now.

So yeah, its all about learning your body limits, and not
over exceeding it too much. I know my limits, hence why I can go
to the max amount of hours my body can keep up with.
GummsArt
Grunt

Unread postby GummsArt » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:50 am

I guess I can try to answer those questions to see if I can figure something out.

But yeah, overall it boils down:
(1. How are you treating your body)
Not sure what exactly this mans.

(2. Are you exercising)
Yes.

(3. How comfortable are you when drawing)
Not sure how to answer that. I want to say I'm comfortable, but that isn't the case as I'm doing something wrong?

(4. What is your time limit)
I take breaks every 2 hours. From there, I would take a 45 minute walk around my neighborhood, catching some nice sunlight.

(5. Are you taking sabbaticals)
I would draw to 4 - 8 hours a day.
However, one day out of the work, I would limit it to 2 hours, and read up on studies.

(6. Whenever you start to get discomfort
in one are of your body do you stop and find a better way
or just persevere through? Some peoples does that,
which does a serious blow to their own body)
I do stop and readjust my position and desk then continue, but sometimes the pain remains. Don't know how to avoid it.

Maybe I should take up Yoga.
I wonder if that'll fix me up.
jujibla
Foot Soldier

Unread postby jujibla » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:51 am

How do you exercise? Do you actively strengthen your back/ shoulder area? What did your setup look like? A bad chair, wrong desk height or a cheap tablet pen can definitely cause injuries + doing the wrong exercises and wrong stretches can hurt you too. Especially if you ignore the warning signs of your body - you should never try to power through pain.

Oh and have you seen a doctor? Just picking up random exercises with an existing injury can make it worse when done wrong.
Rocketp4nts
Grunt

Unread postby Rocketp4nts » Wed May 04, 2016 5:18 am

Disclaimer: IANAD and also most of this is fairly obvious I guess.

While I set my goals fairly low (1 sketch per day), I usually end up drawing for somewhere between 2-6 hours every day. Drawing is one of those things that gets me into hyperfocus-mode, so when I get going I usually don't stop until something external knocks me out of it. I have some tricks I've been taught to do through physical therapy, but in the end preventing injuries boils down to two quite simple principles:
1. Take a break approximately every 45 minutes. I set an alarm to remind myself. The breaks don't need to be a long or even contain much content, just get up and move a little bit every 45 minutes does wonders.
2. Stretches and exercises. Youtube have tons of demonstrations for how to strengthen and stretch specific parts of your body, I find them very useful for proactively avoiding common pains in shoulders, wrists, hips (I'm old ok), neck and back.

Powering through pain is generally a bad idea. Generally, if you're getting persistent pain in one part of your body the proper course of action is to ask a medical professional what's up. However, they aren't always an option (money, time, access, people are scary) which is where the service desk approach comes in:
1. When and where does the problem occur?
2. Do other people have the same problem, how do they deal with it?
3. Is there a different way to achieve the same result? Aka. can I change my position, seating arrangements, posture, how I hold my pen etc. Does any of this make it better?
4. If the above fails, consider external solutions.

And remember that sometimes your body (or brain) just needs a proper break.
Suckin' at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.
-JakeTheDog
marygordon
Grunt

Unread postby marygordon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:31 am

Around 3-4 hours.
Jessburks
Grunt

Unread postby Jessburks » Wed May 31, 2017 5:04 am

Near Around 5-6 hours..
WSLafleur
Grunt

Unread postby WSLafleur » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Not going to pull punches here. Honestly if you haven't made the leap from unhirable amateur to professional artist yourself, then you shouldn't be prescribing study habits. Individual cases may vary, and a lucky few are going to get away with 'incidentally' doing a lot of their time while they're very young, but you're looking at more-or-less 10,000 hours of investment - your mileage may vary.

Good practices are wonderful, but you can't escape the grind. Good luck and take care of yourself.
Arlenlarge
Grunt

Unread postby Arlenlarge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:00 am

Changes are not noticed immediately but only over a consistent period of time.