QUESTION : When is one ready to post on Social Media?

Hermidraws
Knight

QUESTION : When is one ready to post on Social Media?

Unread postby Hermidraws » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:27 pm

I am kind of curious, lets say if someone is only a year few months in practicing art seriously. Should they still consider posting things on lets say tumblr/instagram, or the other way around?

Because I think what you put out there is what you stand for. So I am kind of still in the learning phase, but I am wondering when is one ready to start throwing their stuff out there on instagram/twitter/tumblr etc. Right now I am just posting my learning sketches in my sketchbook thread.

I do have a tumblr and deviantart account, although I do not post a whole lot on them because I am still in the learning stage.

Any insights on this matter is always appreciated. Thanks.
SickDelusion
Grunt

Re: QUESTION : When is one ready to post on Social Media?

Unread postby SickDelusion » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:55 pm

Well, you'll always be in some kind of learning stage because you never stop improving when it comes to Art. I always kinda find that it's a pity not to see what really good artists used to draw or sketch like weeks, months, years ago, to see the progress they've made and thus encouraging people to practice more themselves or even see what they could do better... maybe? I'd say post whatever you like to post on social media since you can still show the creme de la creme on your portfolio..
JanDrenovec
Champion

Unread postby JanDrenovec » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:21 pm

Hermidraws wrote:I am kind of curious, lets say if someone is only a year few months in practicing art seriously. Should they still consider posting things on lets say tumblr/instagram, or the other way around?

Because I think what you put out there is what you stand for. So I am kind of still in the learning phase, but I am wondering when is one ready to start throwing their stuff out there on instagram/twitter/tumblr etc. Right now I am just posting my learning sketches in my sketchbook thread.

I do have a tumblr and deviantart account, although I do not post a whole lot on them because I am still in the learning stage.

Any insights on this matter is always appreciated. Thanks.
!!!!warning!!!! This are only my thoughts behind it and nothing more !!!!warning!!!!

I used to post quite frequently on social media networks like Facebook, Deviantart, Artstation and Twitter, but I have stopped doing that 1 and a half year ago. The reasons for that are the following:

1.I don't have enough time to have a job, because I am still student. (advertising purpose of social media is out)

2.I am studying graphic design, which means that I don't have any drawing/painting lectures whatsoever. The only way that I can get better really fast, is by doing a lot of bad daily studies on my own. Submitting them for the critique is worthless, since you won't get meaningful feedback in most cases. ( also nobody is interested in boring studies, so the purpose of gaining followers is out)

3.I am aiming to really improve my portfolio and I want to consist completely of the newest work, which will be posted in one go. Slowly replacing portfolio has less of a stunning impression, at least in my opinion. (posting once, but many new pieces, has bigger impact)

4.I want to spend time improving, rather than wasting it on social media.(Posting newest work on all of the sites and checking for likes/comments every 10 minutes)

5. It is going to be way better for the start of my professional career, if my work can compare to mid level artists. Since my graduation and adult life are getting closer and closer, I want to get to it as fast as possible. Bad jobs and wasting time on social media are only going to slow the process down.

I hope that this post, written in broken English, is going to help you make your decision.
Good luck and keep on working hard :)
Hermidraws
Knight

Unread postby Hermidraws » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:39 pm

@SickDelusion
Really good point about documenting the progression. I think that's what a sketchbook can serve for, and you post on social media about your recent sketch maybe. The problem I have found about social media (human nature) is how many likes did we get haha...

@JanDrenovec
You know I am kind of between design/art right now. Because I have to reach to a decision what do I want to do as a job in order to feed myself (few months left before school is over studying for IT) and when it comes art its not really a doable market from where I live. (Curacao)

But I have to agree with the part of posting on too many platforms, like in the past I used to post on every forums you can think of which in return put too much pressure on myself after few months of daily posting. So yeah. I guess it also boils down to what is your goal? Do you want peoples to see how you gotten from point a to g like MindCandyMan did on Conceptart forum, or do you just want peoples to see little bits of your progression?

Thanks for sharing your insight.
ChristopherCant
Grunt

Unread postby ChristopherCant » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:53 am

I think its best to be honest with yourself, about what it is that you want to achieve by sharing your work, and whether those desires will serve you well. If you are honest with yourself, perhaps you are fishing for an ego boost; that's fine, but will that ego boost help keep you on track or will it derail you? Do you need external validation that your work is 'good'? If it doesn't make an impact on anyone at all, will that crush you? Do you fear that idea? Maybe you get no support from the people around you and finding some validation online will make you feel much more positive and you'll work harder.

Then of course there are other reasons, like networking, marketing and attracting clients, etc. But I think the link between one's work and one's ego is the most interesting :D

In my opinion, the only negative things that come from sharing our work exist purely in our own minds. Of course, that's just my opinion, and hypocritically I still struggle with posting my work online; when I'm honest its simply because of ego issues.

Interesting discussion :D

Christopher
Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me! Believe in the me who believes in you! Your drill is the drill that will pierce the Heavens!

SKETCHBEWK | TWITCH | TUMBLR
Hermidraws
Knight

Unread postby Hermidraws » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:32 pm

@ChristopherCant
You bring a good point, especially the ego part. Because I remember like, when I post, I immediately start refreshing and tell myself if this gets no likes then all has been wasted, which is a terrible attitude to have in the learning stage, and even when you are professional I think.

So it definitely has to do with our ego/mind. Even though I just simply want to document my progression.
ChristopherCant
Grunt

Unread postby ChristopherCant » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:46 pm

Hermidraws wrote:@ChristopherCant
You bring a good point, especially the ego part. Because I remember like, when I post, I immediately start refreshing and tell myself if this gets no likes then all has been wasted, which is a terrible attitude to have in the learning stage, and even when you are professional I think.

So it definitely has to do with our ego/mind. Even though I just simply want to document my progression.
Yeah exactly! You want to document your progress, and might as well do it online where others can look at it and kill two birds with one stone, but then your ego comes along and starts ruining it for you haha

Though then you have to wonder, why do you want to document your progress? Ego? Kappa The struggle never ends! If I could master my ego I'd be a happy man.
Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me! Believe in the me who believes in you! Your drill is the drill that will pierce the Heavens!

SKETCHBEWK | TWITCH | TUMBLR
BBrBBa
Grunt

Unread postby BBrBBa » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:28 am

Interesting thread. Personally I think Instagram is a great platform for casual uploads/sketches and ideas. It's also great to start building up interest in your work regardless if you're a student/still learning. I've found it pushes me to work harder.

I don't really have creative/artsy social group IRL, so platforms like instagram/arstation/forums are perfect to discover like-minded people.

Protip: Double up Instagram with Timehop to track your progress over the years, you'll surprise yourself. tapHYPE R)
Hermidraws
Knight

Unread postby Hermidraws » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:14 am

@ChristopherCant
NotLikeThis

@BBrBBA
That sounds like a damn good idea mate. tapGASM tapHYPE
marygordon
Grunt

Unread postby marygordon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 pm

I agree with SickDelusion.
Jessburks
Grunt

Unread postby Jessburks » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:16 pm

me too agree with SickDelusion..