Hellhound's Sketckbook

Hellhound955
Grunt

Hellhound's Sketckbook

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Hey people :D, I am going to try and upload my work on a daily basis as well as my old work to show how far I have come with art.

I will give you a little back story on when I started learning art, I have been doing art since elementary school. I never really thought about anything when it came to art, I just copied pictures and when I couldn't copy pictures I did swirl patterns. I more or less did art for fun and nothing more.
After that I spent about 1 and a half years not doing art when I got into college, now that I am out of college I am pursing art as a profession. I have marked the date of taking it seriously as September 22, 2016, so you could say I have really only been doing art for 2ish months. As nothing I did before really helped in terms of drawing, I literally didn't even know the word anatomy.

I welcome any tips and feedback, I am trying my hardest to get better and would love to hear any advice on how to improve.
Last edited by Hellhound955 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellhound955
Grunt

Re: Hellhound's Sketckbook

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:51 pm

I took an image I found online expanded it, dimmed it down and drew over it in a very loose way. I apologize for basically stealing this art work as it is very similar to the image just worse.
Before Taking art seriously Date of completion December 16, 2015.
Attachments
hetalia_character__russia__by_deltarus-d9ke768.jpg
hetalia_character__russia__by_deltarus-d9ke768.jpg (140.53 KiB) Viewed 5099 times
Last edited by Hellhound955 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:58 pm

I took an image I found online basically stole the line art and just painted it, nothing in this image is mine other then the color. I apologize to the artist as I feel this should never be done.
Before Taking art seriously Date of completion January 28, 2016.
Attachments
first_grayscale_rendering_by_deltarus-d9pofg3.png
first_grayscale_rendering_by_deltarus-d9pofg3.png (445.32 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:22 pm

I took a screenshot of an anime I liked and basically copied it, I hate that I did this as all my other copies of things, but the idea with this one was more practice then anything. I wanted to do clean lines and this was my attempt to break my choppy line habit.
Before Taking art seriously Date of completion June 5, 2016.
Attachments
chrome_shelled_regios_fanart__layfon_alseif__by_deltarus-da58yz2.jpg
chrome_shelled_regios_fanart__layfon_alseif__by_deltarus-da58yz2.jpg (107.33 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:30 pm

For me this piece was a huge turn around, I literally did it all from my head and no references. You could say this is what actually allowed me to start feeling good about my art. As I made it myself and I wasn't using other peoples work. This is the rough version. Before Taking art seriously Date of completion July 24, 2016.
Attachments
dream_space_by_deltarus-dabbkxl.jpg
dream_space_by_deltarus-dabbkxl.jpg (88.9 KiB) Viewed 5095 times
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:32 pm

The refined version of the thumbnail above. Sorry for the water mark, but it is mine and I was super proud of it at the time so I put it on. Before Taking art seriously Date of completion August 25, 2016.
Attachments
dreamscape___my_world_by_deltarus-dafdyki.jpg
dreamscape___my_world_by_deltarus-dafdyki.jpg (190.14 KiB) Viewed 5095 times
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Finally started taking art seriously, this piece marks the date of taking art seriously, this was basically at the start of it. I did this for The Art Posse challenge but I never posted it or shared. I didn't use any reference in the making of this.
Attachments
creature_of_the_dark_art_challenge_by_deltarus-daimhoq.jpg
creature_of_the_dark_art_challenge_by_deltarus-daimhoq.jpg (60.28 KiB) Viewed 5094 times
raven
Knight

Unread postby raven » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Welcome Hellhound!

One can cleary see the difference between your early pieces and those you marked as from the era where you started to take art more seriously. What I really liked was that you started coming up with your own ideas, since that is what art is (at least in my opinion) all about. However that does not mean that you can't use reference. What you can do is: Draw whatever you like and then start to use reference every time you feel like something does not look real. For example: The metal in your spaceship painting. Search for a similar image and try to apply the light and shadows in the same way. If you want to dig deeper, do studies of metal parts and see how light works on metal surfaces. This method can be applied to anything: Anatomy, materials etc.. I only began to improove when members of this forum (like Thor and others) kicked my butt and told me to find out how things really work. You can do these studies seperately, or just whenever you paint what you like. Since this tip helped me a lot, I want to encourage you to try it yourself.
One more thing: Never be disappointed since failure is part of improvement. Everyone who does art faces this issue.

Looking forward to see more of your stuff!
Twitch: 124V3N
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:24 am

Yeah, I do use reference rarely. I don't like using it, Since I have already seen almost all of what I need to already. I am trying to pull from my head in terms of like remembering how metal looks and what not. I am doing things rather differently in terms of my process, but so far it's what's work for me. I appreciate the advice, I think it is very helpful to me as I am still a beginner.
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:26 am

This is the first official Art Posse I entered, I had some really helpful tips from the legend Sam. I have not finished it yet. But I think this was another great step in the right direction. I had a lot of fun doing this because it was closest to my original idea and the best in terms of quality Date of Completion October 10, 2016
Attachments
traveling_merchant_wip_by_deltarus-dakoleb.jpg
traveling_merchant_wip_by_deltarus-dakoleb.jpg (114.56 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:30 am

The reason why this one is so different in terms of level of quality is because I did this on my own and I didn't have a Sam crit. So I was figuring things on my own. I didn't use reference on this project either. Final Submission for Dark lands Witch.
Date of Completion October 30, 2016
Attachments
Art_Posse_Challenge_54_Alt_Version_Final.jpg
Art_Posse_Challenge_54_Alt_Version_Final.jpg (347.62 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
Last edited by Hellhound955 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:41 am

This is another piece I did for the art posse challenge, it was the first one. But I didn't much like it. So I ended up doing 2. (Dark lands Witch Challenge) Date of Completion October 30, 2016
Attachments
Art_Posse_Challenge_54_Turn_in.jpg
Art_Posse_Challenge_54_Turn_in.jpg (394.1 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:44 am

Personal project idea I had and actually finished, I am pretty bad when it comes doing my own work, I can start it but normally I can't finish it.Date of Completion October 30, 2016
Attachments
arena_personal_project_by_deltarus-damx23y.jpg
arena_personal_project_by_deltarus-damx23y.jpg (92.32 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:48 am

Another Quick character I did, I got an understand of how armor works better in this piece, I think after this I got a fairly decent handle on it. Date of Completion November 3, 2016
Attachments
geared_warrior_by_deltarus-danb6bh.jpg
geared_warrior_by_deltarus-danb6bh.jpg (90.7 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:53 am

Super proud of how this one turned out, I think the quality is a few leaps above the rest of my work. I had never done an animal before so the anatomy is off. Did this for the Risen Necromancer Creature.
Date of Completion November 14, 2016
Attachments
TAP_55_Reanimated_Beast_WebReady.jpg
TAP_55_Reanimated_Beast_WebReady.jpg (252.55 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:57 am

Super proud of how this one turned out, I think the armor I did really came together with this dragon. Though the reason it probably looks so good is because I spent the full 15ish hours on it. Did this for the Risen Necromancer Creature.
Date of Completion November 14, 2016

All up to date on completed projects, from here on out it will be current work. I will also be uploading the WIP'S and Studies
Attachments
TAP_55_Fantesy_Beast_WebReady.jpg
TAP_55_Fantesy_Beast_WebReady.jpg (393.99 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
Zyalin
Champion

Unread postby Zyalin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:29 am

Wow awesome Dragon, the neck look really really good
Zyalin64 on twitch (i dont stream, but you can meet me in chat)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/zyalin_art/
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:54 pm

Thank you very much :D
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Some basic studies, I am trying to find my own method for doing the human body. I would love some feedback on these gestures as I don't really know if I am doing well or not. I believe I am doing okay. But I feel I am missing something. Images were used for these.
Attachments
Basic_Studies_FACES.jpg
Basic_Studies_FACES.jpg (106.94 KiB) Viewed 5043 times
Basic_Studies_GESTURES.jpg
Basic_Studies_GESTURES.jpg (242.99 KiB) Viewed 5043 times
Spazz328
Grunt

Unread postby Spazz328 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:34 pm

One thing I'd suggest, is to shrink your brush size a bit, to get used to making finer lines in your construction work. A smaller brush also lets you place more accurate and telling form lines on the arms and legs to help show the depth and direction of poses, for example the figure, second from the right, on the bottom row, the legs look really flat, and adding the cylindrical form lines helps YOU see things like where the calf overlaps the upper leg.

Another thing I'd strongly suggest, just to help you improve your figure construction work, is do a bunch of tracing. Find a bunch of good references and just copy them in to photoshop, turn their opacity down, make a new layer and practice your construction shapes, then hide the reference and really look at the lines you've drawn. Try different complexities, less and more. I'd suggest for each picture, two layers, in one the base "skeleton", ovals for the head and ribs, what every you prefer for the hips, dots at the knees, elbows, wrists and ankles. Then in the second layer, trace an outline of the body, as if you were drawing line art, don't worry about shading (or make a third layer for playing with shading).

A lot of people shy away from using tracing as a learning tool. You're trying very hard to figure out what "correct" looks like, but that's exactly what tracing shows you, it helps build your visual library of what "correct" lines look like, so really LOOK at what you trace, burn the proportions and your construction method into your head, then practice without tracing, just using a reference as usual, and then try some without reference, to see where you're still struggling... You can get into a cycle of Trace -> Reference -> From the Mind -> Repeat. Trace to see what correct looks like, reference to practice without the crutch, and from the mind to see what you need to study more.

Same goes for painting, except you can't really trace with painting, so you do photo studies, copy references to the best of your ability. Photo Studies are like doing complex math on a calculator, you're given the "correct answer" (i.e. the photo), as long as you go through the motions properly... After you've done some photo studies, try a practice painting either without reference, or at least without a direct reference, and take note of what you got wrong and what you got right. If you notice your noses look a bit janky, practice painting a bunch of noses from direct reference, and try again.

All in all, you can make a cyclical practice rotation, where you're painting your good sketches from your figure drawing.

Sorry for the wall of text, I hope some of it helps. This has been on my mind for awhile now, I'll probably make an actual guide, with examples and such.

Twitch: SpazzCreations
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:58 pm

Unfortunately I can't trace pictures and learn from it, I have an issue with actively thinking while tracing the shapes. The only thing I study while tracing images is edge and curve, an then I end up copying the image entirely without gaining anything from it. I developed this habit in high school and I have yet to be able to over come it, I even get it just looking at reference. I throw shapes out the window and just look to see if this edge is a curve straight and that's it. Which is a huge reason why I don't often use reference, because I don't really learn that much or gain from it. I gain more by running it threw my head over and over and drawing the shapes over the form and imagining the skeleton.

Though your suggestion gave me and idea so I will try it out first, otherwise I could give your suggestion a try. Hopefully it doesn't end with me mindlessly tracing what I see and not thinking. I will for sure try a smaller brush size to see if that helps me out as well. I was trying it out to get me out of the habit of getting too much into details right off the bat.

Thanks for the help and info, I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Daily gestures, trying to figure out the best method for me to understand the human body. I feel like I have gotten worse with it, I also found I struggle very much with foreshortening. Not so much drawing it but more seeing it in an image. The super basic gestures with only lines for arms I did in five minutes to get me out of going super slow and choppy. The images with an X are ones I didn't draw I traced over to see some things an try and comprehend what it is I am not understanding. I drew these with the images on my second monitor and just looking up and trying to comprehend it that way, since tracing really still hinders me more helps. But depending on my mind set I can power through it and learn from it.
Attachments
Basic_Studies_2.jpg
Basic_Studies_2.jpg (464.48 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:46 pm

TAP Study challenge, I was only able to do two and this was more clean line practice for me then anything. I made the armor a simplified version, I could have probably added more details but I just couldn't really see what there was to add. I just took some poses from the gestures and mocked them up.
TAP_Costume_Study_Rough.jpg
TAP_Costume_Study_Rough.jpg (145.08 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
TAP_Costume_Study.jpg
TAP_Costume_Study.jpg (177.65 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
3bb82e83f075a3e1992fa05f69fe7379.jpg
3bb82e83f075a3e1992fa05f69fe7379.jpg (67.63 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
ed2854f8d6_51344195_o2.jpg
ed2854f8d6_51344195_o2.jpg (124.85 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:45 am

Late night studies, just doing some more clean line art stuff, I felt good about this one. I also think I found my tick for doing heads. I'm not sure I will have to explore it more in a few hours after I get some sleep. Probably should have change the opacity on the lower layers, but it's 2 in the morning. But the lines are clean for the most part.
Attachments
Speed_Characters_SAMPLE.jpg
Speed_Characters_SAMPLE.jpg (94.06 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
Hellhound955
Grunt

Unread postby Hellhound955 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:54 pm

Some basic line art, I figured out quite a bit I have been doing wrong with my gestures. I can't believe the amount of things I missed that were staring my right in the face. I just need to find a way to do appealing line art. Cause I hate how this looks, but the gesture itself reads from a distance quite well. I am gonna keep at it to get a hang of the new stuff I learned. But it took watching Sam's vids about 20 times to figure some of the things I missed. Also I did a little bit of armor studies as well.
Attachments
Armor_line_art_Practice.jpg
Armor_line_art_Practice.jpg (151.23 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
GESTURE_BREAKTHROUGH.jpg
GESTURE_BREAKTHROUGH.jpg (201.31 KiB) Viewed 4977 times