Tap Challenge #86: Forest Scout

The time has come, my friends... OSsloth
sampetersonart
Art Posse Honcho

Tap Challenge #86: Forest Scout

Unread postby sampetersonart » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Description:
The Darvenwood forests on the outskirts of the kingdom have many popular trade routes and various paths leading away from the main city. These forests are often plagued by bandits and those wishing to do harm. There is a ranger who will guide you through some of the more dangerous routes of the forest and protect you if you are seeking to travel without fear of being robbed or attacked. This ranger knows the forests well, is an expert survivalist, and has found that they can make a nice living from the coin they receive from travelers who want to be ensured safe passage. They offer their services to whomever is willing to pay. They are well aware of the common tactics and timing used by bandits, and use that knowledge to avoid, or even set up counter ambushes if they suspect an attack along their route. They are an excellent marksman with ranged weapons, and spend most of their time living in the forest before heading into the city to look for work when they need the money.

This is a character design challenge. Use the above information to design what you think this character may look like. Try to imagine what their personality would be. Imagine how their motivation and where they live might influence their design.

Rules and Guidelines:
-This a character design challenge.
-Approach this concept as if you were designing it for a video game or film.
-Any medium is allowed.
-WIPs can be posted in this thread and the final submissions can be posted in the "Finals" thread.
-Due before Sam's on stream review on Monday, February 26th.
DaveCaveDraws
Grunt

Re: Tap Challenge #86: Forest Scout

Unread postby DaveCaveDraws » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Its been awhile since I've done one of these. The story for this one sounded pretty interesting so I thought I'd give it a shot.
RangerSilhouettes.jpg
RangerSilhouettes.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1923 times
So I've started with a few silhouettes. Not sure what time frame or theme I want my character to be in yet, so they're kind of all over the place.
RangerSilhouettes2.jpg
RangerSilhouettes2.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 1923 times
Laid in some details to the ones that caught my attention the most. Right now I'm drawn to the top left one and the bottom right three...
AnnaTheNewt
Grunt

Unread postby AnnaTheNewt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:36 pm

boop
If i find time i wanna do: 2 more outfits (jacket+shoulder armor and a cloak), callouts for details like backpack, pants (side view), quiver,... Also some facial expression would be cool, to depict her personality a little bit more..
edit: decided to not do the shoulder armor at the end.
Attachments
ranger2.jpg
ranger2.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 1206 times
photo_2018-02-13_02-05-04.jpg
photo_2018-02-13_02-05-04.jpg (122.39 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
ranger 1.jpg
ranger 1.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1637 times
Xelgot
Grunt

Unread postby Xelgot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:01 pm

Progress so far: